Re: New root cause problems?

2005-05-11 01:51:09
below...

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
In message <4280EF10(_dot_)1080102(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com>, "Eric A. Hall" writes:

On 5/10/2005 12:45 PM, Thomas Narten wrote:

One example (and I'm just using it because it was it comes to mind,
and one that I think is symptomatic of the broader problem):

October 15, 2004: IESG approves 4-document  set.
Within one week: authors send xml source to RFC editor
March 10, 2005: IESG requests expedited processing (target date: March 31)
March 29, 2005: RFCs published

Total time between IESG approval and publication, 5 1/2 months.

That was expedited. Better example is iSCSI. Draft-20 was approved Feb
2003 [http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Announcements/draft-ietf-ips-iscsi.ann] but
published as RFC3720 in April 2004, for a lag time of 14 months.

I have no knowledge of this process and maybe there were a lot of changes
needed or something, but for a whole year there were vendors releasing
products marketed as conformant with "draft 20"

A delay of that length is generally due to dependencies -- normative references to other documents that are held up.

When a document is in the RFC Editor queue, you can query its state via their web site.

But that gives very limited insight into what is holding it up, except
for a few cases. If it's in EDIT state you get no useful information about
issues and progress, for example.

   Brian