Re: Complaining about ADs to Nomcom (Re: Voting (again))

2005-05-11 01:28:37
Hesham,

Soliman, Hesham wrote:
 > Even assuming that publishing candidate lists would result in
 > better-quality feedback and permit the Nomcom to make better
 > choices among plausibly-appropriate candidates, please look at
 > the other side.   There are people in the community who, for
 > whatever reassons, find the prospect of a "volunteer, have that
 > public, and then not be selected" process sufficiently painful
> to prevent them from volunteering...
=> With all due respect to those people, I think it's a shame
they feel like that. It seems like the selection decision is perceived
as a personal judgement by those people. Good people may not get selected for a million reasons. I hate making blanket judgements but this kind of attitude is probably not a healthy attitude for an AD-to-be.

But there is another issue. When someone asks their employer for
agreement to be a candidate, the employer may worry about the PR
impact. Imagine:

   "Flarion employee passed over for prestigious IETF job; major
    competitor chosen instead"

So the candidate's personal attitude may not come into it at all.

    Brian