RE: Complaining about ADs to Nomcom (Re: Voting (again))

2005-05-04 22:23:26
Brian & Jari,

Please understand the argument that was made strongly while
RFC 3777 was in WG discussion: there is reason to believe that
a substantial fraction of the potential candidates would *not*
volunteer if they were entering a public race. It's hard to
judge the validity of that argument, but it's certain that
publishing the names would change the whole process in
unpredictable ways.

Like Hesham, I am also aware of this argument and do not
necessarily agree with it. (In fact, one could make the point
that not being able to tell you have volunteered sounds a bit
wimpy compared to what kind of public visibility and pressures
the folks need to deal with if they are actually selected,
particularly to the IESG.)

Also, to give you a datapoint on potential candidates -- my name's
been given to nomcom a couple of times and I certainly would not be
bothered by folks knowing who has volunteered and who has not.
And I think John L said something similar as well.

I wouldn't mind if my name was made public the times that I have volunteered;
but again, I wasn't active in the discussions of RFC3777.  I agree with
Jari on the above points.

John