RE: Complaining about ADs to Nomcom (Re: Voting (again))

2005-05-07 10:52:28
Margaret Wasserman wrote:

What is "reasonable turnover" for the IESG?

... successful ADs who are willing to
continue serving will probably be in-office for an average of 8-10
years (4-5 terms).  This seems to match existing practice.

I personally find that this is too long.

What level of turnover do you think would be healthy?  And what would
be the impacts of having more new ADs each year?

My personal preference would be an average of 4 to 6 years. You have to
ensure turnover for multiple reasons: even if you have the best
intentions, power does corrupt, attention fades, you get disconnected
from your peers, you develop an us versus them attitude, etc. I don't
necessarily believe in term limits, but remaining in an AD position for
more than 8 years feels very unhealthy.

This is a volunteer organization. When you get a management position,
your attitude should to make the best possible job for the duration of
your mandate, then voluntarily withdraw and let someone take the next
watch.

-- Christian Huitema