RE: Complaining about ADs to Nomcom (Re: Voting (again))

2005-05-07 13:32:32
At 10:52 AM -0700 5/7/05, Christian Huitema wrote:
 What level of turnover do you think would be healthy?  And what would
 be the impacts of having more new ADs each year?

My personal preference would be an average of 4 to 6 years. You have to
ensure turnover for multiple reasons: even if you have the best
intentions, power does corrupt, attention fades, you get disconnected
from your peers, you develop an us versus them attitude, etc. I don't
necessarily believe in term limits, but remaining in an AD position for
more than 8 years feels very unhealthy.

I agree with you, but I think we may be discussing a serious problem that has already been solved. By my (possibly inaccurate) count, he current IESG members have been serving for the following lengths of time:

Brian Carpenter, new
Ted Hardie, 2 years
Scott Hollenbeck, 1 year
Mark Townsley, new
Margaret Wasserman, 1+ years
David Kessens, 2 years
Bert Wijnen, 7 years
Bill Fenner, 3+ years
Alex Zinin, 3 years
Sam Hartman, < 1 year
Russ Housley, 2 years
Allison Mankin, 5 years (plus 4 years previously)
Jon Peterson, 2 year

So, only one AD has been serving sequentially for longer than your proposed 4-6 year period, and this group of 13 people has been served on the IESG for a total of 33 years, or an average of ~2-1/2 years per AD.

Contrast this with the IESG from two years ago (March 2003) with their lengths of service as of that date:

Harald Alvestrand, 2 years (plus 4 years previously)
Steve Bellovin, 1 year
Scott Bradner, 10 years
Randy Bush, 4 years
Patrik Faltstrom, 5 years
Bill Fenner, 1+ years
Ned Freed, 3 years
Allison Mankin, 3 years (plus 4 years previously)
Thomas Narten, 6 years
Erik Nordmark, 4 years
Jeff Schiller, 9 years
Bert Wijnen, 5 years
Alex Zinin, 1 year

These 13 people has served (as of March 2003) on the IESG for a total of 62 years, or an average of ~4-3/4 years per AD. Only 4 of these 13 ADs who were severing in March 2003 are still serving 2 years later, so we have seen a turnover of approximately 70% of the ADs in a two year period.

Do you actually think that we need an even higher turnover? Or are you pointing out an historical problem which may have been corrected over the past two years?

Margaret