Re: Re: New root cause problems?

2005-05-12 04:35:37

looks like incompetence to folks outside of the IETF.  I really think these
type of things really strains any credibility that the IETF has.

John Loughney
From: Margaret Wasserman <margaret(_at_)thingmagic(_dot_)com>
Date: 2005/05/10 Tue PM 04:36:51 EEST
To: Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>,
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: New root cause problems?

I have one new "root cause" issue that I don't believe was included
in the original Problem Statement:

     It takes too long to publish an RFC after final approval.

It currently takes several months for an RFC to be published after it
is approved by the IESG.

This results in several problems:

- RFCs come out much later than they should, contributing greatly to
the perception that the iETF is slow.  The time to move from approved
I-D to RFC is often a significant percentage (perhaps averaging 20%
of more?) of the time required to develop and publish a specification.
- Stable references are not available until months after a
specification is fully approved, resulting in ambiguity about the
status of a document and encouraging the use of I-D names as
references, thus blurring the distinction between WG I-Ds and
approved specifications.
- Too many changes are made to documents after WG and IESG approval
(copy editing, changes to reflect updated thinking/terminology,
etc.).  These changes are often not reviewed or approved by the WG or
the community.
- Some RFCs are already out-of-date by the time they are published.
The document then contains the RFC publication date, which may result
in a mistaken impression about when the IETF held a specific view or
encouraged a particular practice.

I believe that the IETF should consider modifications to our document
handling process to reduce or eliminate the delay in publishing
approved specifications.

Margaret