Re: New root cause problems?

2005-05-15 00:20:59
Sorry for taking so long to follow up here:

From: "Margaret Wasserman" <margaret(_at_)thingmagic(_dot_)com>

I have one new "root cause" issue that I don't believe was included in the original Problem Statement:

    It takes too long to publish an RFC after final approval.

It currently takes several months for an RFC to be published after it is approved by the IESG.

At the SIPPING-OMA ad hoc meeting at Minneapolis, we noted that the P-Alerting-Mode "private header" in draft-allen-sipping-poc-p-headers-01 was really generally applicable (not limited to OMA environments), and that it would be really nice to take the text out of the existing private headers draft and publish it as a standards-track RFC.

Then we said, "OMA needs a stable reference for this Really Soon, but maybe we could fast-track a short specification with one header based on existing text to approval as a standards-track RFC by Paris."

And then someone said, "but then it will take another six months to come out as an RFC, anyway."

And no one argued that it wouldn't.

And, IIRC, that wasn't the only time taking a long time to publish an approved document came up during the same ad hoc meeting.

Spencer