Re: Appeal of decision to standardize "Mapping Between the Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and Internet Mail"

2005-06-15 09:43:11

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
On 16:07 14/06/2005, John C Klensin said:

John, I don't see any text in RFC 2026 that gives an appeal
suspensive effect. However, as a matter of common sense, I
have asked the Secretariat to request the RFC Editor to
suspend RFC publication.

I support this. It creates a sensible jurisprudence.

To be clear, this isn't a court of law, so the notion of
jurisprudence doesn't apply. I specifically referred to
common sense for that reason. In other circumstances, I might
have decided otherwise.

    Brian

The fear of DoS is legitimate, but also of an affinity group forcing an RFC in the hope that immediate decisions taken make the appeal moot. This is in particular the case if the RFC documents and feeds a IANA registry.

This is precisely a thing were arbitrary decisions should never be allowed, since it is contentious. It should be mechanical one way or another. The way is now set.

jfc