Re: Simplistic metrics Re: WG management

2005-06-21 09:14:22
Hi,

I agree with Joel. Though, the metric is simple (and in that regard
possibly good to track) I believe it measures the wrong thing. I think
that if the WG does work and there is no need for drawing conclusions on
the WG mailing list, or the WG chair has chosen not to contribute
technically - possibly to stay impartial in a technical argument where
he later has to do conclusions.

However, I think measuring the timeliness of a WG based on the WG
mile-stones and how they are kept measure the right thing.

In these kind of problems, often measuring something is enough to
correct the problem or at least address it: If you measure how many
mails the WG chair sends, he will send more mails. On the other hand, if
he is measured by the WG milestones, he has the incentive kick his
editors or WG to do the work in time.

Cheers,

Jonne.