Re: WG management

2005-06-16 11:06:27
How about limiting the term of working groups, instead?  If a working
group stretches beyond about 2 years, there is a lot of value in
limiting its scope, shunting new work/extensions into a new working
group or groups, and trying to shut it down in the next 12-18 months.

I think this goes back to the distinction I made between the "classical" "big-ticket" IETF working group that has a single major deliverable and the ever-more-common "maintenance" working groups that have a steady stream of protocol-related work. I don't see much point in re-starting the DHCP working group every other year, to pick an example of one of the longer-lived working groups.

I certainly agree that for the "big-ticket" working groups, an annual-or-similar explicit review (visible to the community) would be helpful. This is very common for subgroups in technical societies (ACM, IEEE), for example.

                                                - Ted