Re: I'm not going to listen to this any more.

2005-06-27 14:57:54
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 11:32:15AM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
As one of the IETF list's "sargent at arms", I certainly don't see
Harald's one-time, single line posting as being egregious in any shape
or form.  I also didn't see it as a personal attack.

sorry for the badly written note.  i was trying to focus on getting the
procedure used, not specify who it should be used against.

The criteria of what is and isn't acceptable can be found in RFC 3005.
As far as the actual procedure, it's fairly informal.  The sargeants
at arms (currently Jordi Martinez and myself) are appointed by the
IETF chair and serve at his pleasure.  In the case of a problem, they
will confer with each other and the IETF chair (unless there is a
conflict of interest caused by the, ah, heated discussion involving
the IETF chair) and send a private warning to those who are violating
the mailing list charter as specified in RFC 3005.  If the behavior
does not stop, this will be followed up with a public warning, and if
that doesn't work, suspension of posting privileges, presumably with
an exponentially increasing time period for repeated infractions.
Fortunately, after this system was introduced we haven't had a need to
invoke the procedures, so some of the details haven't been ironed out.
The general principle, though, is that the mailing list moderation
should be done with as light of a touch as possible.

                                                - Ted