Proper behaviour towards irritating persons (RE: I'm not going to listen...)

2005-06-28 02:54:55
Since Nick Staff's response is edging towards the subject of proper behaviour towards irritating people on the IETF list, I thought it might be worthy of response.... I found no reason to respond to earlier messages in this thread.

I learned long ago some rules for reasonable behaviour on mailing lists.

Some of those include:

1 - Argue rationally. Use arguments related to what's being discussed. Support those arguments with facts. When the facts don't support your argument, shut up. RFC 3184.

2 - When you think that other people behave unreasonably, ignore their unreasonable behaviour unless your role requires you to respond to it ("don't feed the troll"). Alternatively, complain off-list. RFC 3005.

3 - When other people respond angrily to the unreasonable behaviour, you may sometimes advise them that following rule 2 may be a better option.

I've chosen to apply my strongest version of rule 2 to mr. Anderson - I won't see his messages unless I look for them. The reason being that I do not wish to expend my resources in cooling down to the point where I'd only make reasonable responses.

I think that's a good thing for people to do when they discover that they have the same kind of reaction to mr. Anderson's posts as I far too often have. So in the spirit of rule 3, I have shared the information on what I'm doing.

Believe me, if I wished to attack mr. Anderson, there would be no doubt whatsoever that I wished to attack mr. Anderson. But I don't.

Or, summarizing my advice in a very short sentence:

 Killfiles are good for you.

That's all.

                    Harald