Re: Proper behaviour towards irritating persons (RE: I'm not going to listen...)

2005-06-28 04:29:12
Quoting Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>:

I learned long ago some rules for reasonable behaviour on mailing lists.

So why arn't you following ant of them?

1 - Argue rationally. Use arguments related to what's being discussed. Support those arguments with facts. When the facts don't support your argument, shut up. RFC 3184.

Your "facts" are my fiction. I would assume that RFC's are "Requests for
*comment*", so commenting by their request should be perfectly open - so long
as someone has a logical argument, isn't talking circles or being a plain crack
smoker, etc. If you're to treat everything written anywhere as a holy grail,
then you're not going to advance anything much.

2 - When you think that other people behave unreasonably, ignore their unreasonable behaviour unless your role requires you to respond to it ("don't feed the troll"). Alternatively, complain off-list. RFC 3005.

Why complain? If they are really as bad as you think, it should be evident to
everyone else. I do believe most people here are adults, and throwing your toys out of the cot as soon as you perceive something as a personal attack certainly
doesn't mirror the attitude that should be conveyed on these lists.

3 - When other people respond angrily to the unreasonable behaviour, you may sometimes advise them that following rule 2 may be a better option.

No, you can pass them off as a crack smoker and go about the discussion in a
reasonable way.

I've chosen to apply my strongest version of rule 2 to mr. Anderson - I won't see his messages unless I look for them. The reason being that I do not wish to expend my resources in cooling down to the point where I'd only make reasonable responses.

So do that and keep quiet about it and go about your way? Are you one of those
people that feels that the internet is his home and every email demands to be
read and replied to?

I have shared the information on what I'm doing.

No, you're making a noisy troll in a place it does not belong. This is starting
to sound like a local D&D web forum. Would the IETF like to install phpBB for
these kind of discussions?

--
Colin Alston <karnaugh(_at_)karnaugh(_dot_)za(_dot_)net>

'CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes
to improve his vision. ' D