Re: RFC 2434 term "IESG approval" (Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option)

2005-06-28 16:54:17
Keith Moore wrote:
        [..]
Basically I think we need to do whatever will be most effective at
discouraging the bad idea.  If that means any of the following:

- not registering the idea, or
- registering the idea and clearly marking it as bad, or
- delaying registration of the idea until such time as it can be
  improved or the harm can be limited,

I'm not sure a new, unique option code is 'an idea' that needs discouraging.
At most it is a marker indicating someone, somewhere, might deploy an idea
that you believe could require discouraging. Discouraging _deployment_ of
the idea may well be warranted, but it wont be achieved by blocking the
assignment of an option code on those grounds alone.

any of those are fine with me. Circumstances vary from one case to another, and according to how bad the idea is, and the best action in one case might not be the best in another.

In this case 'the idea' was "we would like an option code point
assigned". I'd have thoughth the discussion should have been about whether there
was an intention of deployment by the requestor (the request isn't gratuituous)
and whether there are enough codepoints available for future use (the request,
if fulfilled, wont prevent other IETF-developed ideas from getting their own
codepoints). The decision process should have stopped when the answer was
"yes" on both counts. At least, that's how it seems to me.

cheers,
gja