Re: Should the IESG rule or not? and all that...

2005-07-01 10:42:12

My thoughts on reading the IPv6 H/H Option discussion:

        Some technical decisions about the Internet protocol suite are
        more important that others.  Decisions about application-layer
        issues are of course important to particular segments of the
        community and industry, but decisions that impinge on the
        fundamental communication mechanism of the Internet are
        critical to us all.  Such decisions must be made very, very
        carefully, with considerable care and not a little wisdom.

        History has established the IETF as the body responsible for
        decisions about the fundamental structure of the Internet.
        W3C certainly can set standards at the application layer,
        for example, but decisions about the waist of the "hour
        glass" belong in the IETF.  We need to take this
        responsibility seriously, and waste less time on lawyering
        the procedures.

        You cannot provide "adult supervision" over the Internet
        protocol suite with a committee of 2000 people; you have
        to delegate a major responsibility to a small group of
        technical experts.  Technocratic democracy is fine up to
        a point, but ...

        After Kobe, the IETF established the IESG and IAB as twin
        oversight bodies with some responsibility to look after
        the overall technical health of the Internet, especially
        the important parts.  As a member of the RFC Editor team,
        I have had the privilege to sitting in IESG meetings now
        and then, and I know from that experience that the IESG
        takes this responsibility very, very seriously, as they
        ought.

        It is true that the IETF has no strict control over what bits
        people choose to put into IP headers, but in fact we have a lot
        of influence.  We can bring quite a bit of informal pressure
        against renegade (from our viewpoint) companies or bodies.  For
        example, the Host Requirements RFCs successfully deprecated and
        effectively eliminated a number of technical deviations.  So
        the registration process is important and gives us some
        leverage, as long as we continue to act as adults.

        I agree with the comments made by Joel Halpern yesterday.

Bob Braden