Re: Should the IESG rule or not? and all that...

2005-07-01 16:44:04
You seem to think that every IETF participant _except_ those on IESG
should do so.   You seem to think that everyone else should be able to
exercise their judgement but that the IESG should just serve as
process facilitators and rubber stamp technical decisions that others
make.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought the exercise of IETF judgement relied on
rough consensus.

I was talking about each individual using his own technical judgement to
make decisions entrusted to him.  But no, it's not the case that all
decisions made in IETF are made by rough consensus.  That applies to
decisions made within working groups, but working groups are only part
of our process.

Having a subset of folks impose their own, personal
preferences -- oh, sorry, their judgement -- is not using rough consensus to
make ietf decisions.

In other words, when you make the decision, you're using your best
judgement. When someone on IESG makes a decision you do not like, it's
personal preference.

In other words, Keith, I did not say what you are asserting.  I did not mean
what you are asserting.

What I said is that the IETF is supposed to be the decision-maker, not the
IESG.

From RFC 2026, section 6:

   The experienced collective judgment of the IESG
   concerning the technical quality of a specification proposed for
   elevation to or advancement in the standards track is an essential
   component of the decision-making process.

Ketih