Re: When to DISCUSS?

2005-07-11 23:09:39
Dear Scott (Brim),

There are occasions when limiting the number of deployed solutions is very good for the future of the Internet, and in those cases, pushing
for Foo even when Bar is just as good is quite legitimate.

Yeah, I agree completely with the sentiment. I just wish there was a tighter linkage between what we standardize and what got deployed (hint, I am NOT reading this e-mail via IMAP4 carried on IPv6 via MIPv6) :-(

Now, if you had said, "limiting the number of STANDARDIZED solutions"... But, since the linkage is inexact, are we sure we are doing the right thing by shunting Bar implementers off the standards track because we are quite excited about Foo?

More to the point, are the people who use our standards sure we are doing the right thing (a more interesting question)?

Spencer