Re: SRV continued

2005-07-20 00:51:36

--On Tuesday, 19 July, 2005 19:39 -0700 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip"
<pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

While we are on the subject of SRV, port numbers etc:

Why not define SRV prefixes for POP3, IMAP4 and SUBMIT so that
email applications can auto-configure from the email address
alone.

Because it raises some very "interesting" issues about just
which server a particular client should be bound to.  The
network-nearest available one or  the one associated with the
same organization as the client are typical possibilities (along
with the somewhat vague "email address") and, if the wrong one
is chosen, it may be inaccessible.

These issues are discussed in part in draft-hall-email-srv (the
most recent version of which is, I think, expired, partially
because of debates about  the issue raised above.

  john