Re: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-02.txt

2005-07-20 04:04:42
No, I was not intending to imply IESG review would gain a last call.
I was only speaking to IETF review.

I don't think IESG review gaining a last call is all that benefical.
It's not clear how you would interpret the results or what the
success/failure criteria is.  I think interpreting IESG review last
calls would be significantly more difficult than IETF review last
calls.  We have a lot of experience publishing documents and even
dealing with last calls on documents that end up generating a lot of
messages.  But IESG review would be different enough that it would be
highly problematic.

Instead, I recommend viewing IESG review as a short circuit process
that can be used when a request successfully convinces the IESG that
it should be approved.  I think it is important that IETF review
always exist as an alternative when IESG review is available.  If your
IESG review is not sufficiently convincing, then you can either pursue
IETF review or drop the proposal depending on whether you found the
IESG's arguments convincing.

If you do choose to have a last call for IESG review, you need to have
some text explaining what the IESG is evaluating and how the IESG
should balance its own opinion against comments made in the last call.