Dog Food (was "IETF servers aren't for testing")

2005-08-06 18:13:01
On 02:04 07/08/2005, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ said:
> Yes and not ... Real large scale deployment trials only started in
> 2001-2002, and it was already using production space. Then we had commercial
>  deployment, at that time mainly in Asia Pacific and Europe.
>
> I will say that IPv6 experimental stage was over around 2002-2003, specially
>  looking at vendors support. Of course, this always depend on "your own
>  hands-on experience" ;-)

Dear Jordi,
There could be many criteria to say IPv6 is operational. Mine is that at this (st)age of IPv6 deployment a SME (we absolutely need them to push and pay for IPv6 acceptance) should be able to:
- subscribe an IPv6/IPv4 ADSL access
- put a bootable CD in a new machine with a Wi-Fi router plugged on the ADSL line
- answer a few well documented questions
- and get its server running under Apache, with a xxxmail working as pop, smtp, mailing list and anti-spam, their named operational and reasonable anti-virus, firewall, network management, log reporting tool, backup/restore, security alarm solutions being in operation and full Perl and PHP support for network scripts being loaded.

I have the ADSL line and IPv6/IPv4 address for three months. I am still looking for a trustable "dog food" cann: an ISO to dowload, CD to Fedex, a compact nomad version on a bootable USB key? May be then the IETF could a copy: not to test it, but to show it can be used. I know you made a lot of practical efforts: did you come accross of such a dog foot? I would love to test!
jfc