Re: "IETF servers aren't for testing"

2005-08-06 11:53:39
Right, but I will say that if the reply from the service provider is
something else than the cost of upgrading the router to a new firmware
version, then the IAD and this community has the obligation to look for an
alternative provider !

Providing IPv6 in addition to IPv4 should not be done at any extra charge.

At a risk to be blamed, I have the obligation to say that if an ISP
(Internet Service Provider) today doesn't provide IPv6 (or at least has
clear and short term plans for it), then has lost the right to be called ISP
and may need to consider closing down the business. Internet is TODAY IPv6
and IPv4.

Regards,
Jordi

De: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
Responder a: <ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Fecha: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 19:25:50 +0200
Para: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com>, IETF General
Discussion
Mailing List <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Asunto: Re: "IETF servers aren't for testing"

Once the IETF web services are operated under a contract with the IASA, and
that contract contains text like "these servers must be reachable via
IPv4", I think it is a very reasonable idea for the IETF Administrative
Director to ask the company providing this service under contract what they
would charge extra in order to change that line in their contract to "IPv4
and IPv6".

At the moment, remember, the IETF's webservers are provided by a company
that is under no formal obligation to do anything requested by the IETF
community; they have chosen for reasons that seem good to them to continue
not offering IPv6 access to the IETF servers, presumably because they think
that some of the other things we have asked them to do take priority.

I think IPv6 can wait until we have the formalities straight.

                       Harald