Re: IETF 63 On-line Survey

2005-08-18 08:50:17
At 06:25 AM 8/18/2005 -0400, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
In my working group I would say that a bigger factor related to the
improved ability to hold a technical discussion were the four floating
microphones.

floating mics are a bad idea for many reasons - each getting worse with room and or audience size increasing.

Who is in charge of who's next to speak?
Who passes the mics to the folks in the middle of a row who didn't bother to get up? Turning of heads happens now to know places (mics in the aisles), but because seated persons are not standing, they cannot be easily seen, causing some confusion and general discomfort in the audience to "find the person", then "find their face" to know who's saying what - which is important sometimes.

Few people talk during sessions, and those that do, know to sit where they can readily get to a mic to make a point. I see nothing wrong with keeping this layout

Participants are more than capable of turning their heads
but when holding a technical discussion those extra mics make a
significant difference.

Jeffrey Altman

cheers,
James