Re: Appeal: Publication of draft-lyon-senderid-core-01 in conflict with referenced draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02

2005-08-25 12:12:57
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

Julian,

not speaking for anyone but myself.....

one matter of principle:

are you of the opinion that the IESG should try to police which experiments get run on the Internet by refusing to publish RFCs documenting possibly-conflicting experments?

Both of these documents were published at the request of their authors. I know that ways in which they could cause conflict were pointed out to the authors, and that both authors upheld their requests to publish.

If you ask the IESG to assert the power to police this kind of experiment, please make sure you will be happy with the result if they agree with you.....

                 Harald

And, of course, the idea of the IESG "policing" anything that happens on the Internet has to be kind of silly, given that two consenting endpoints can send just about anything to each other, especially above the IP layer, and our obvious lack of any enforcement mechanism.

Can we just not go here? I agree with Bill's note - if the IESG helps experiments avoid gratuitous conflicts, that is wonderful - but for more than that, the IESG is working very hard just to get the STANDARD protocols out :-)

Spencerr