Re: IESG powers - was: Appeal: Publication of draft-lyon-senderid-core-01 in conflict with referenced draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02

2005-08-26 08:27:44
JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
At 13:08 26/08/2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

just a remark here. In the RFC 3066bis Last Call case the IETF has the capacity not only to "police" but to "impose" and "force". This is the case when a memo documents a IANA registry. In the case of a standard track memo, there can be an appeal before it is imposed. It seems not in the case of a BCP.

Wrong. IESG approvals of a standards track draft or of a BCP are equally
subject to appeal within two months.

Dear Brian,
I do not say that BCP are not subject to appeal, but that in the case of a standard track an appeal delays the enforcement and that in the case of BCP it does not. My sources are quoted below.

I have no idea what you mean. Neither IETF standards nor BCPs are enforced
by anybody - they are what the standards community calls voluntary standards.

(I am not referring to our own process BCPs in this statement.)

   Brian