Re: IESG powers

2005-08-26 13:16:21
On 17:23 26/08/2005, Brian E Carpenter said:
JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
At 13:08 26/08/2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

just a remark here. In the RFC 3066bis Last Call case the IETF has the capacity not only to "police" but to "impose" and "force". This is the case when a memo documents a IANA registry. In the case of a standard track memo, there can be an appeal before it is imposed. It seems not in the case of a BCP.

Wrong. IESG approvals of a standards track draft or of a BCP are equally
subject to appeal within two months.

Dear Brian,
I do not say that BCP are not subject to appeal, but that in the case of a standard track an appeal delays the enforcement and that in the case of BCP it does not. My sources are quoted below.

I have no idea what you mean. Neither IETF standards nor BCPs are enforced by anybody - they are what the standards community calls voluntary standards.

Brian,
??? we talk of the enforcement of the IANA considerations. When appealed (to IESG and then IAB) when is the IANA to apply the IANA considerations:
- of a BCP?
- of a standard track RFC?
jfc