Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-08-31 08:30:08
At 2:47 PM +0200 8/31/05, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
That is about 1/3 of the total. It doesn't surprise me at all that
so many bogus queries arrive - everybody who mistypes a TLD or
misconfigures a default domain generates bogus queries, and this isn't
going to change. The question is whether .local is a *significant*
part of this load. The limited data I have suggest not, but I'd like
to see publicly available data: what fraction of those NXDOMAINs are
due to .local?

The question maybe should be whether .local will become, not is, a significant part of this load. If you prevent mDNS, the main proponent of the .local namespace, from becoming a standard, the number of those names will remain low. If it becomes a standard and implementers use that namespace more, the load will of course increase.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium