Single DNS root (Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard)

2005-08-31 07:01:09

--On 31. august 2005 13:08 +0200 Marc Manthey <marc(_at_)let(_dot_)de> wrote:

i want to correct  bills concern  that  , " peters public root server
system" is
an alternative for  the existing ones  and there are several others .

Just being pedantic.....

of course anyone can run any service he wants and call it anything he wants (modulo use of existing trademarks.... different rathole...) But: Anyone who wishes to avail themselves of this service would be well advised to read RFC 2826 - "IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root".

When IETF documents refer to the DNS, I think it's a safe bet that they are intending to refer to the system under the single root that most people regard as "the root".

I don't think any of the fundamentals have changed in the last 5 years.

                        Harald