Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-08-31 05:54:36
Jeroen Massar wrote:
On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 13:14 +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Check for only "K": http://k.root-servers.org/index.html#stats
Interresting one here is NXDOMAIN responses:
http://k.root-servers.org/stats/linx/xstats_SNXD-all.html
(note, that is only the LINX node)
It is a large part of the traffic and annoying, 0.763 k out of 2116 k
queries/sec.

That is about 1/3 of the total. It doesn't surprise me at all that
so many bogus queries arrive - everybody who mistypes a TLD or
misconfigures a default domain generates bogus queries, and this isn't
going to change. The question is whether .local is a *significant*
part of this load. The limited data I have suggest not, but I'd like
to see publicly available data: what fraction of those NXDOMAINs are
due to .local?

    Brian