Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-08-31 11:05:56
Paul Hoffman wrote:
At 2:47 PM +0200 8/31/05, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

That is about 1/3 of the total. It doesn't surprise me at all that
so many bogus queries arrive - everybody who mistypes a TLD or
misconfigures a default domain generates bogus queries, and this isn't
going to change. The question is whether .local is a *significant*
part of this load. The limited data I have suggest not, but I'd like
to see publicly available data: what fraction of those NXDOMAINs are
due to .local?

The question maybe should be whether .local will become, not is, a significant part of this load. If you prevent mDNS, the main proponent of the .local namespace, from becoming a standard, the number of those names will remain low. If it becomes a standard and implementers use that namespace more, the load will of course increase.

Sorry it was not mDSN that provoced these lookups. It was some prerelease
of LLMNR.

There is no LLMNR on apples. The machines that complained were windows
only.

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--