Re: ISMS working group and charter problems

2005-09-07 03:39:34
--On 9/7/2005 1:01 PM +0300 Jari Arkko wrote:
Juergen Quittek wrote:

The main goal of the ISMS WG is finding a solution that integrates
SNMP into existing user and key management systems.

Yes.

Eliot's request is adding a new goal to the ISMS charter: extending
SNMP such that it operates well across NATs and firewalls. I am not
sure that ISMS is the right place to do so.

"Call home" is a feature that would be very useful.

In which scenarios do you consider it very useful?

I am not at all saying that it is not useful.  Still, I want to learn
about where and how it would be required. And I am not sure if ISMS is
the right place for this discussion.

It would already be a nice achievement if the ISMS WG solves the
problem of integrating the existing SNMP into user and key
management systems.

                                                     I'll just note
that the group's intended SSH approach (is there a draft? I
did not see one)

Not yet.

                 does not appear to be in contradiction with
the ability to cross firewalls. SSH connections can be set up
so that you go through a device in the demilitarized zone
to reach something inside a network.

--Jari

Thanks,

   Juergen