RE: Cost vs. Benefit of Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture Area

2005-09-20 23:43:06
 David Kessens stated (amongst other things):
As for the benefits, I see that we would give more well
deserved attention to an important area of work within the
IETF.

In this very area the IETF was once able
in a relatively short period of time to overtake the ITU,
with SIP becoming preferable to H.323 .

But a small (and now very wealthy) group has developed,
in a even shorter period of time, a proprietary system
that has overtaken IETF mechanisms (both in capabilities
and market acceptance).

If this is not deemed sufficient justification for the IETF to
concentrate on this area, then we can sit back and let
nonstandardized technologies take over.

Y(J)S