Re: Adding parallelism? (was Re: Cost vs. Benefit of Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture Area)

2005-09-23 00:00:15
Sam Hartman wrote:
    Pekka> how important is it that documents get reviewed by *all*
    Pekka> current areas?  There are certainly some "cross-layer"
    Pekka> areas, such as SEC and OPS, that should worry about all
    Pekka> layers, but aren't the primary purpose of layering to make
    Pekka> sure that people working on the other end the stack can
    Pekka> feel safe to _mostly_ ignore details at the other end;
    Pekka> e.g., that apps people don't need to worry about the
    Pekka> details of the routing?

The current structure does not require document be reviewed by all
areas.  I can (and sometmies do) record a no objection vote because I
believe that adequate review has taken place without me reading a
document.

That's correct. IESG ballot procedure does require 2/3 of the ADs to
record either a YES or a NO OBJECTION for a standards track or BCP
document. According to
http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/voting-procedures.txt :

  - "No Objection" means "I would not object if this document went forward".

        examples where No Objection might be used include:
          - I read it & have no problem with it
          - I read the protocol action & trust the AD so have no problem
          - I listened to the discussion and have no problem

        This may be interpreted as "I have no clue or have no cycles",
        in that you exercise the ability to move a document forward on the
        basis of trust towards the other ADs

   Brian