Re: Adding parallelism? (was Re: Cost vs. Benefit of Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture Area)

2005-09-26 02:59:28
Pekka Nikander wrote:
So, I am hearing here two conflicting messages:

1. We can't consider a "horizontal" split, since we need
   cross-fertilisation and cross-area review.

2. We aren't doing (that much) cross-area review, or at
   least don't require it.

I disagree with message 2. The message as far as I'm concerned is
that we are not doing enough cross-area review and we aren't doing it
early enough. Frankly I am shocked by how many cross-area problems
show up in documents that reach IETF Last Call or even IESG review.
I see this regularly in the Gen-ART reviews, which you can see too at
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art.html

So we aren't getting *enough* cross-fertilisation today, and we're
getting it too late in the process. That doesn't conflict at all
with message 1.

Hence, I think my question still stands: Might the benefits be greater than the costs? Might we get (almost) as much cross- fertilisation anyway?

If we need to plan meetings ahead for two years, why can't we schedule once a two weeks meeting two years ahead, for an experiment? Then we would have plenty of time, i.e. another two years, to consider whether that experiment was useful at all. And if two weeks is too much, maybe have a 1.5 weeks meeting (Sunday - Tuesday) to start with? Of course, the point would be not to spread out all areas throughout the time but concentrate "horizontal" areas towards one of the ends and try to distribute the WGs in the "vertical" areas accordingly.

Taking on purpose a simplistic view, to greatest drawback seems to be that some valuable people working on different areas would need to stay at IETF meetings for about 6 weeks instead of 3 weeks. (For the experiment 4 vs. 3 weeks).

The other drawback is that people who have a narrow focus and only stay
for part of the total time would have even less cross-area exposure,
either in the corridors or by dropping into sessions out of curiosity.

I'm suspecting that a large impediment here is fear, i.e., what if we split and those other people in the other IETF screw up things there? If so, experimenting might help to overcome that.

There is a lot of overhead in proactive liaison. We know that from
an existing experiment known as ITU-T SG13.

I think Harald's idea (which could be described as "grouped interim
meetings") is a very interesting one and would actually be a fairly
low cost experiment - if a group of WG chairs got together, they
could set such a thing up as long as the ADs involved agree.

    Brian

--Pekka