Re: Cost vs. Benefit of Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture Area

2005-09-21 12:40:38
At 12:14 PM -0700 9/21/05, David Kessens wrote:
 I have never seen a senior manager in a commercial enterprise
 to whom 26 subordinates, each responsible for completely distinct
 disciplines, directly report.
[...]
Most Areas organize themselves in such a way that each AD manages
about half of the total. Having said that, even in that case, the
transport area is still quite large and there is indeed a misfit for
some working groups.

Of course, most WGs have two chairs, so you are right back to the number that Yaakov has cited.

I currently have 27 chairs of 14 WGs "reporting" to me in the IETF context. Fortunately for me, most of these people are extremely senior and capable of operating independently. I also get a lot of help from a lot of other people -- you know who you are, and I appreciate you.

There is a serious scaling issue here, and I think that it is a much more serious problem than any scaling issues that we are currently experiencing due to the size of the IESG.

I do completely support the creation of the new RAI area, both because I think it does make sense as a logical area, and because I think that it will help with AD->WG Chair scaling in the TSV and APPS space. I do not think that the effect of adding two ADs to the IESG will be particularly problematic.

Margaret