RE: [dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com: Mismanagement of the DNSOP list]

2005-09-26 21:19:02

In message <433809FE(_dot_)4070903(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>, Dave Crocker
writes:
Without getting into the discussion of whether an email
every 5 days
is a DOS I would certainly like to state for the record
that without
question the pettiness has taken far more thought than the
productivity, and so if Dean's posts are a DOS then the
posts trying
to protect us from them have been an atom bomb.

That's the reason the process model delegates handling such
problems to
specific individuals, rather than having all of us, together,
participate in the review and assessment.

Actually, 3683 specifically requires community discussion of
motions to block someone's posting rights.  It is, in so many
words, done by a Last Call.

Thank you Steven - I was really beginning to think no one on this list cared
as much about the truth as they did winning and it was really nice to find I
was wrong.

Dave, Noel - I know what you guys are saying and believe me, I really really
would rather not be playing the role I'm playing.  Truthfully though, I
thought both of your comments were mean spirited and geared at making me
feel bad rather than at trying to help fix the problem but I'm not going to
respond to them any more than that because I'm not sure if those are things
you really believe or if you were just saying them because you wanted to
take a cheap shot to feel like you'd been better than someone.  If you
really feel your comments are worth discussing drop me a line off-list and
I'll be happy to respond and explain why I think your position is unfair and
why I think you're two of the bullies of this list and part of the root
problem this thread is an example of (which is funny because I like both of
you, but it's like that old line "they're really nice when it's just us but
when they get around their friends they just start acting different...").

To everyone else (as well as Noel and Dave) I'm sorry for making such a big
deal about this but the thing is our first cardinal principal is that anyone
can make their voice heard on an issue, so to call someone's voice off-topic
is to say their opinion is so egregiously irrelevant that it warrants the
compromise of the first of only five principles this organization is founded
on.  There is much weight in that but unfortunately it has been so overused
here as a debate tactic that I doubt people are even aware of what they're
trivializing.

I read the DNSOPS Charter and I read Dean Anderson's post.  Does it seem to
fixate a little unnaturally on the ISC?  To me it does.  Does Dean seem like
a bit of a zealot?  To me he does.  Is his message about DNS and a possible
operational hazard?  It certainly read that way to me.

Thanks for listening,

Nick