Re: [dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com: Mismanagement of the DNSOP list]

2005-09-26 12:30:49
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, David Kessens wrote:

I first sent a message on the dnsop mail list that most people would
interpret as a clear warning to behave better or face the
consequences. However, considering earlier misunderstandings, I sent
him a private message to make sure he fully understood what I was
telling him.

Dean in turn informed the IESG of your warning because he felt it
was unwarranted and being used by you as a tool to silence someone
who had a differing technical opinion.

He did two things: He sent another inflammatory message to the dnsop
mail list in which he again attacked a well-known organization while
he was just told to refrain from such attacks.

Entirely false.

I sent a note stating that:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/msg03553.html

This is not an attack. It states that mis-operation of root DNS servers is a
valid topic for DNSOP, refuting your claim that my criticism was somehow
inappropriate.

The charter for DNSOP states
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/dnsop-charter.html

1. Define the processes by which Domain Name System (DNS) software
      may be efficiently and correctly administered, configured, and
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      operated on Internet networks. This will include root zone
      ^^^^^^^^                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      name servers, gTLD name servers, name servers for other DNS
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
      zones, iterative DNS resolvers, and recursive DNS resolvers.
      As part of this effort, the group will produce documents
      explaining to the general Internet community what processes
      and mechanisms should be employed for the effective management
      and operation of DNS software.

2. Publish documents concerning DNSSEC operational procedures.

Plainly, correct operation of Root zone nameservers is a valid topic for DNSOP
as described above.  The subject of mis-operation of Root DNS servers is proper
topic.

Plainly, the Anycast Extension also affects DNSSEC operational procedures.

In addition, he forwarded my private message to the IETF mail list.
However, he not just forwarded my private messsage, he added simular
accusations as the ones in his earlier messages to the dnsop mail
list.

Another false characterization. The message is at
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37864.html

I added no additional accusations, but merely forwarded Kessens' threat.  This
is an administrative complaint, and on-topic for the IETF list.

You then used his complaint to the IESG as an instance of another
abusive post and requested to have his privileges removed. Is that
basically correct?

No, it was not his complaint as he did not sent a complaint. It was
the fact that he used his messages to repeat the same accusations that
he was warned not to repeat.

I didn't send a complaint?  Really?

   "FYI: I am being threatened for posting operationally relevant criticism of
    mis-operation of the F DNS Root server on the DNSOP list."

Sounds like a complaint to me, which is how I meant it, and plainly, how
everyone else took it.

If so are you telling me that I have to be afraid of ever voicing a
complaint or problem to the IESG because an AD can use that as a
reason for retribution?

I did not send my request to the IESG just because he voiced his
opinion or filed a complaint. I sent my request, because, among
others, his comments were out of scope for the dnsop working group, he
voiced his opinion in a totally unprofessional manner and repeated
this behavior on two different mail lists right after he was warned.

Well, that "out-of-scope" question seems to be a dog that won't hunt.

And it is plain that you did send a complaint because of my complaint to IETF
list. You mentioned that post in your complaint as a basis for your complaint:
And I note that your complaint was in fact a "reply-to" my complaint to the
ietf
list.

Kessens' wrote in his complaint:
  As you can see from my private mail that Dean forwarded to the IETF
  list, I have given him an official warning to refrain from sending any
  more abusive mails to IETF maillists. Despite this, he immediately
  followed up by sending more abusive mails to the dnsop and ietf
  mail lists.
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37865.html

Note both the "ietf mail lists", and the fact that his complaint was a reply-to
my complaint to the ietf list.

Plainly, Kessens acted in retaliation.

I hope this helps to clarify the events.

No, but we have records that establish withou doubt the events.

David Kessens
---

617 344 9000