Re: delegating (portions of) ietf list disciplinary process (fwd)

2005-09-28 21:43:46
On Sep 28, 2005, at 21:20, Dean Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Dave Singer wrote:
This was offlist, but I think it is relevant, now to similar
questions raised by
others.
Yes, emailed to you offlist.  Do you have NO idea of professional
courtesy?  You do not post personal emails by other people without
their permission.  You needed to ASK first whether I minded.
Your points were relevant, and they were sent to the IETF Chair. Thus, you don't
have any privacy interest in it.

There are no privacy interests in official business communication, unless you
have an NDA arranged in advance.

Perhaps there is no legal standing for an expectation of privacy. Still, it is generally considered discourteous among most serious email users, I think. But we seem to have gone past the point where that matters to people.

So, if I wanted to make comments to you about IETF matters, people's personal conduct on mailing lists, etc, that I didn't want made public to fuel arguments I specifically don't want to add to, I should ask you to sign an NDA first? Got it, I'll keep that in mind.

This has been vaguely entertaining for a while, at least until a friend of mine became one of the side targets. But frankly, not being one of the ombudspeople or netiquette committee members that don't exist (yet), and without any more authority than anyone else yammering on this list to investigate or enforce anything in this matter, while I'm a fan of open process, I'm having difficulty maintaining any real interest except in that car-crash-on-the-side-of- the-road way.

I like Brian's ideas for ombudspeople or a netiquette committee, especially since part of the standard operating procedure in these things these days seems to be to level accusations of improper behavior at the IESG and/or the Chair, if only for not siding with the complainant against the WG chair or IESG member or whomever. I'm concerned that a netiquette committee will be treated exactly the same way, though perhaps a group of people with little or no interest in the actual technical outcome of the discussion triggering a complaint will be harder to characterize as biased. It's sad that we seem to have come to this point, though at our size and with the importance of the Internet in today's world, not surprising, I guess.

Ken