Re: UN plans to take over our job!

2005-09-30 00:02:37
Johan Henriksson wrote:
Will McAfee writes:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/28/wsis_geneva/
This is not their place to be deciding as if they ever
owned the Internet. They have no rights to the Internet,
by the very nature of it's structure.

Placing governments in charge of the Internet would be a disaster, the
worst possible thing that could happen to it.

Gouvernements are not in charge of DNS and they probably never
will be. Who pays for the root-servers? With whom do they have
contracts?

As long as nobody pays for them they will do what they want.

MIL and ARPA will close their service. So will do EDU. The rest
will join The Public-Root, ORSC, opennic, ...

The UN will talk and talk and ...

a peer 2 peer replacement for DNS tops my internet wish list;
with such, we would not need the top organizations we have today,
it would be much harder for anyone to claim the net and thus
we wouldn't be having this discussion.

of course, a p2p net of that size is a challenge but it's that
kind of thing that make engineering fun :)

Please have a look at

http://iason.site.voila.fr
http://www.kokoom.com/iason

especially the part about bifurcation. Part of it is in english.

It is science fiction but it is strong and maybe it will
replace DNS some time.

There used to be NIS as a competitor to /etc/hosts.

DNS has broken a lot of things that used to work with /etc/hosts.
NIS did not break anything but it did not scale the way DNS was
supposed to.

DNS did not scale either. With some 80% of all domains living in
".com" we face a flat file not a tree :)

Kind regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier