Re: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

2005-09-30 14:17:39
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

In message <433DA1BD(_dot_)1060707(_at_)masten-space(_dot_)com>, Michael
Mealling writes:
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
Reexamine the premises....

I am -- these are my premises. I lived far too long in the uucp world to enjoy non-unique names; they led to nothing but trouble.

Again you're talking about mail routing and addressing mechanisms when the people that use DNS in their web browser are looking for a smart search interface that understands better what they're after and why. Why do those two applications have to use the same addressing scheme? Many of the political problems with DNS have nothing to do with routing email and have everything to do with the fact that its what your grandmother is using as an interface.

Some of the other requirements are security requirements, and that's what I do for a living.

Sure.... security requires a level of exactness that you shouldn't burden the user with or else he won't use the system....

I agree that the current DNS has serious problems, most notably in the trademark sphere. That doesn't mean that its other premises are wrong; there are other navigational systems that yield unique results besides treees.

And what I'm suggesting is that uniqueness is a requirement of networks and system, not people. The issues the UN has with the way DNS is run have to do with the fact that you're trying to apply a requirement of the network to society and that creates problems. IMHO, we should look at building a system that works the way people use identifiers and identity and then get that to work with the existing network we have.

-MM

--
Michael Mealling                  Masten Space Systems, Inc.
VP Business Development                       473 Sapena Ct.