RE: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

2005-09-30 16:25:49
Michael Mealling writes:

All very deployable and rather easy to build and setup...

So is the current system.  Why does it have to change?

Well, given the origin of this thread, there are large numbers of
users who consider the current system to be broken.

More specifically, there are certain entities that feel they
don't have enough control over the system.  They don't want a
system in which anyone can do anything, even if they don't
approve of it personally.  Freedom frightens them.

Well certainly the network controls in place in china are a good example of
this. HOWEVER I'd say really it all boild down to power.

And they have money and power so they're going to find a solution.

Translation: They have money and power so they are going to
eliminate freedom.

The question is whether this organization is going to be
involved in
that answer or not. You can either sit back and feel smug about
thinking your solution is right or you can address the perceived
problems of the users and provide them with technical solutions to
it....

I don't hear too many _users_ complaining about anything.
It's mainly corporations and governments who want to control
every bit that passes over the Net.

YES! Not to mention the plethora of engineers and geeks who know too much
about what's going on and CAN complain. I'd say as more of our knowledge
pervades society more people could understand the issues that bother some
people.

-Tom