RE: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

2005-09-30 16:24:37

Michael Mealling writes:

Because, particular codifications of it in the law aside, it
represents a pretty good description of how human beings
cognitively
use names and words.

No, it simply represents the way trademark holders force
others to do their bidding.  IP law is already enough of a
pox on society as it is, there's no reason to make it worse
by encoding it in the world's only global computer network.

It has many centuries of operational experience and it apparently
works for everything humans need it to.

Centuries of experience for trademarks?  I seem to recall it
being much younger than that.  And abuse of such concepts has
increased exponentially over the past few decades.

Perhaps he's referring to the fact that civilizations have dealt with
couterfiting and fraudulence for centuries. Any sort of identity notion at
the highest level is really just a trademark. We've just added things like
social security nubmers, places of birth etc. to our structure for naming
people. I'd really be quite happy if I was never again to mistype one
character of a URL only to end up at some site that is piggybacking on the
few hundred people a day who make a typographical error. All of the issues
with fake sites exploiting multilingual character sets and other issues in
the infrastructure that allow phising attacks etc. all involve a notion of
trademark or "unique identity" in one way or another.

But for some reason those of us who designed the Internet seem to
think we're above all of that and can dictate a system to the end
users that's dissonate with how they actually think and view the
world.

Except that 99.999% of all Internet users do _not_ think in
terms of trademark law.  Only a handful of extremely wealthy
corporations think in that way.

Well, I didn't want to get into specifics but from what I've seen a
URI with a service identifier tag seems to be fine for
everyone that
has looked a the problem.... So you shouldn't be nervous, the web
seems to be working just fine....

What do URIs not have now that they need?

Now that everyone can have a SIP address for everything.....nothing at all!
Seriously though I'm sure we could come up with lots of one off corner
cases, but all in all considering the encumberance of technology evolution
I'd say we're doing pretty good.

-Tom