Re: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

2005-09-30 14:01:14

--On fredag, september 30, 2005 16:36:13 -0400 Michael Mealling <mmealling(_at_)masten-space(_dot_)com> wrote:

There is no reason why the addresses that system uses need to be remotely
understandable by humans. The identifier I use to look you up and be able
to differentiate you from someone else would be run completely
differently from the addressing system used to route a message through a
store and forward network.

X.400 tried that. So did X.25.

I think one of the less-appreciated reasons the Internet succeedd was that its unique identifiers were *memorable*.

                       Harald