Re: Petition to the IESG for a PR-action against Jefsey Morfin posted

2005-10-03 17:51:48
I have to plead mostly ignorance of the technical details of LTRU issues.
However, I just went to the LTRU archive and started with July 15th:
Specifically, I went to the archive page, and picked page 40:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/mail40.html. This link
rotates as new pages are added to the archive. At the moment I selected it, it
pointed to July 15th, 2005.

From there, I reviewed 6 messages from Jefsey, and one message from Randy
Presuhn in response to Morfin. I also reviewed several messages from Doug
Ewell.

On this day, it would seem to be a debate about Last Call issues, requirements
and objections to a draft in Last Call, and a few other issues. It did not seem
very unusual traffic.  Morfin's messages are not rude or combative.  Morfin
articulates his objections to a new draft.

Morfin created a webpage to explain his objections. His messages seem to be
respectful, rational, and well-documented.  The website he created was likewise
rational, respectful, and well-documented, and even easy to understand to
non-LTRU experts, such as myself.

Randy's message
[http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg02836.html] is rather
more disturbing. Randy (WG Chair) claims that Jefsey's wording is "deceptive"
and his website is "misleadingly named", as if the _name_ of the website should
be relevant.  Randy is not specific as to what it is that is "deceptive".  This
is nothing more than an ad hominem attack. This seems to be offensively
inappropriate behavior by the WG chair.

In the message Randy concludes that

    "If anyone wishes to raise an issue, (s)he should do on on the working group
    mailing list by posting a message detailing the concern and, if possible,
    supplying proposed replacement text."

But it would seem that Morfin did just exactly that, with a lot of supporting
documentation.  It seems to me that Randy Presuhn just doesn't want to address
the concerns raised, nor does he want anyone _else_ to address the concerns. In
fact, Randy actually admits in the same message to having advised others _not_
to review Morfin's objections.  That seems to be contrary to Last Call.

Doug Ewell's several messages on this day were mostly in support of Randy
Presuhn's views.

So, I find the LTRU WG chairs response much more disturbing than anything I
found in the small sample of Morfins messages.  Indeed, the RFC3066.org website
seems to be sensible and rfc3066.org/review.htm raises what seem to be very good
points. I would argue that the WG Chair's role is to facilitate discussion. If
there is a language barrier, the WG Chair should try to bridge that barrier.

While I found it at times difficult to follow Morfins writing because he is a
non-native English speaker, I found that his sentences were in fact sensible.
Morfin compensates for his language issues by restating his points, which while,
wordy, helps with extracting the meaning. That it is hard to communicate due to
language problems is not reason for criticism. It seems to me from this sample
(and his web pages), that it is difficult to argue that Morfin isn't making a
positive, and rational contribution, and if he represents a minority view, his
views are still fairly well documented and not unreasonable.  I saw nothing in
this sample that would seem to support Doug Ewell's view below.

The sample, limited as it is, seems to confirm an unjustifiable personal attack
on Morfin based, it seems, on personal dislike and intolerance for his English
language skills

                --Dean