RE: a new DNS root for the world?

2005-10-06 19:09:23
Should _every_ Internet user (let count one billion) receive a
personal copy of the root file every month, the decrease of root
related traffic on the Internet would be by 90%. That the
root server > system works well, does not implies that the root servers
system
concept is still the best solution. We now have 1.5 billions (most of
the Internet users and many more) who will access the NewStar root file.

jfc

The last time I had a reason keep a copy of the root file locally was back
around 1999 and I think .com alone weighed in at over 3 gigs (I think that
was uncompressed, but I've been hit in the head a lot in the last six years
so I don't quite remember).  I know you weren't serious, but at it's
uncompressed size in 1999 it would be bandwidth cost efficient to send the
root file to someone only if they were to perform approximately 6.3 million
queries per version of root file (which would of course become outdated
during transfer).  Now lets say it's only a one time transfer and after that
only updates are sent.  Well forgetting the bandwidth generated by the
updates, if a person performed 200 queries a night it would take them about
86 years to reach the 6.3 million needed to make the initial transfer cost
effective.

I'm sorry, one should never answer angry and I'm well...okay I just think
it's stupid to do away with the root and I think dns delegation has
exquisite scalability and near absolute empowerment to the people.  Any
possibility that the Internet might not be able to support DNS resolver
traffic because of a root server bottleneck is beyond my concept of reality.
If it truly is a bottleneck then maybe we need to seek the advise of some
adult webmasters and ask them how they manage to serve multiple terabytes of
porn a day without breaking a sweat or bringing down their ISP.  Considering
that when two technical people have a discussion you end up with 3 opinions
that neither one agrees with I feel somewhat better not "letting everyone
play" in the root.  In fact I'm all for fairness but I'm not about to agree
to tearing down a genius system just so foreign nationalists can have their
ego satisfied by sticking their finger in the pot (Jefsey the foreign
nationalist comment IS NOT directed at you at all - it's directed at the
politicians and delegates who live life like it's a game of push and
pushback).

My apologies for the rant, I'm sure I'll regret it when someone who knows
more than me replies explaining why I'm wrong.

nick.