Re: a new DNS root for the world?

2005-10-03 10:34:23
{sort-of IETF off-topic but we have RFC3675}

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 09:59 -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:
At 11:58 AM -0400 10/3/05, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
Wouldn't it at least make  sense to require that the .gprs
"pseudo-TLD" be reserved by IANA under Section 4 of RFC 2860
("technical work items" and
"assignments of domain names for technical uses"), with the proviso that
this TLD must not be resolved, except locally ?

Absolutely not. There are already literally dozens (if not hundreds)
of such local tlds, some of which have the same names for different
purposes.

You don't want .sms, .wap, .wap2, .gprs2, .turbogprs ??? :)
There is already a .mobi coming up too, another useless domain.
http://www.icann.org/tlds/stld-apps-19mar04/mobi.htm
Will we also get .computer for computer manufacturers, .toy, for toys?
I don't see any reason why they could not have sticked their .mobi
under, something odd; like say: mobi.corp.com, aren't they doing the
mobile stuff in the first place? But the reasoning for this domain is
really great: stakeholders -> money.

http://www.domainbank.net/mobi/index.cfm also lists an excellent things:
"As many companies were beaten in the rush to acquire desired .com
domain names, the .mobi sTLD is a new channel to differentiate your
business from the sea of .coms and .nets and to protect your brand
name."

and I really wonder who is going to deliver the news for all the mobile
users:
"Further attributes of the .mobi sTLD include personal names (e.g.
User_name.name.mobi) and location-based services (e.g.
NewYork.news.mobi) utilizing the .mobi sTLD."

IMHO there should have been only:
 - cc-tld which each contain:
   - gov.cc - for goverment organisations (including military)
   - <name>.cc : for companies and others, first come, first serve
                 no products, no movies, only organisations/lastnames.
 - int for global organisations/companies

Indeed way less than what everybody else seem to want.
But unfortunately we got the mil/gov/net/com stuff as legacy, which sort
of breaks the hierarchy. New domains though are uncalled for IMHO.

DNS is there for name esolution, not for finding a company or a product.
hamburger.int is useless imho, as it is sold by company X, if they want
that in the dns then do it hierarchically: hamburger.foodcorp.int,
unless the shop is only there in one country: foodcorp.cc
If you want to find this hamburger, you will use a search engine, they
nicely index it for you, dns doesn't index anything in that way.

But apparently that is not how all the domain-selling cash cows are
thinking, they just see $$$....

Greets,
 Jeroen