Re: a new DNS root for the world?

2005-10-07 00:21:38
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 07:03:41PM -0700,
 Nick Staff <nick(_dot_)staff(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net> wrote
 a message of 45 lines which said:

The last time I had a reason keep a copy of the root file locally
I think .com alone weighed in at over 3 gigs

So what? We're talking about the root zone, not about ".com".

I know you weren't serious, but at it's uncompressed size in 1999 it
would be bandwidth cost efficient to send the root file to someone
only if they were to perform approximately 6.3 million queries per
version of root file

Are *you* serious? The root zone is 62459 bytes, uncompressed. This is
a few hundreds of typical DNS requests.

(which would of course become outdated during transfer).

Again, you're not serious. The root zone is modified every two-three
days in average.