Re: a new DNS root for the world?

2005-10-06 01:54:06
At 09:35 06/10/2005, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 02:51:30PM -0400,
 Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> wrote
 a message of 18 lines which said:

> IMHO it would make a lot more sense to distribute the (ICANN signed)
> root zone by multicast (or what the heck, even BGP) so that
> resolvers would never refer queries to the root.

It is distributed (and it is signed, by the real manager) by FTP,
which is more than enough for a file where it takes months to have
even a trivial change.

You are right. RIPE documented the figures we all know (see ISOC site). Less than 70 changes a year in the root. Up to 3 months delays or more. The compressed version roughly 3 times smaller than the ISOC main page.

Should _every_ Internet user (let count one billion) receive a personal copy of the root file every month, the decrease of root related traffic on the Internet would be by 90%. That the root server system works well, does not implies that the root servers system concept is still the best solution. We now have 1.5 billions (most of the Internet users and many more) who will access the NewStar root file.

jfc