Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

2005-10-14 10:39:25

On 14 okt 2005, at 13.19, Jari Arkko wrote:

Freedom of expression is another matter, and would be slippery
slope indeed. I think in most cases we would be better off
being open and constructive, and helping more people understand
what our views are than to refuse contact.

I agree, and that is why I tired to include specific issues, though admit that part needs greater specificity. I think the slippery slope can be avoided by designating specific acts that make a site unacceptable.

One can safely argue that everywhere censures something, however, some well known practices are more serious then others. Blocked sites, redirected dns, registration and arrest of bloggers etc stand out as things that can be stated specifically and not subject to much interpretation (ok, as anyone who knows me knows, i believe everything is subject to some degree of interpretation).

As for being open and constructive, I agree that in principle this is a good goal. however, i beleive it is a goal that exists on its own slippery slope, a slope that ends in appeasement and acquiescence to practices we would prefer not to support. I think a better path to openness is to set a good example and to invite all to participate and to make it easy for them to participate (ref. the visa rules - i also advocate subsidized attendance fees - but that is another issue).

a.