RE: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria - accessibility

2005-10-25 06:51:06
Harald,

        The IETF has regular attendees with a variety of handicaps.
For example, in addition to wheelchair access (ramps and elevators),
some of the regular attendees are blind, hypoglycemic, diabetic, or
afflicted with any number of other handicaps.

        While most of these don't have any obvious implications on
site selection - largely because most sites are painfully aware of
the requirements and needs of handicapped people, they do need to be
considered. For example, a site which possesses elevated platforms
or walkways with excessively low rails might be considered actively
dangerous for a blind person.

        Others may have concerns about availability (and even legality)
of the drugs they need.  For instance, there are countries in which
possession of some drugs - even with a prescription - might get you
hanged.

        I don't think we need to include this kind of information in
an RFC, but I hope that someone has a checklist to hand-out to any
potential meeting site selectors.

--
Eric