RE: Please make sure that you do not run your WLAN in ad hoc mode

2005-11-11 14:41:57
If the architecture profession carried on the way engineers do the world
would be full of buildings with no interior walls or floors.

You sound like a 1950s British trades unionist calling his men out on
strike over demarcation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nelson, David [mailto:dnelson(_at_)enterasys(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 11:45 AM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip; ietf(_at_)handynerds(_dot_)com;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Please make sure that you do not run your WLAN
in ad hoc mode

Phillip Hallam-Baker writes...

I think that what we should do is to send the IEEE 801.b/g group a
polite letter pointing out that if our people here at the
IETF cannot
figure this stuff out then their less technically astute customers
might
be having some trouble as well.

I don't believe this is an 802.11 problem.  That group
standardizes PHY and MAC (up to Layer 2) protocols.  The
usability problems with 802.11 networks are in the device
drivers, operating systems and configuration applications.
It would be more effective to send mail to Microsoft, Apple, et. al.